Pages

At Home

It's beginning to feel more and more like fall here in B.C.'s central interior. The leaves are slowly turning, the nights are becoming cooler, and the Canada Geese are arriving daily from their northern range. Fortunately, we haven't had any frost yet, and my marigolds, petunias, pansies and geraniums are all still blooming. It's actually very pleasant outside right now. For the past two days I have been working in the garden. Yesterday, after I was back in the house, several Yellow-rumped Warblers ran in and out of the plants and flower stalks looking for, I gather, insects and berries.

Later, when I was in the middle of making supper, two deer (one doe, one youngster) came from the hillside and began munching on the black currant bushes. They ran down the path when they heard me opening a window.

Some days there is plenty going on in these woods; other days it is as quiet as a stone.